Article 1 – Name
The association shall be known as the Phoenix Recreation Association (PRA) and hereinafter shall be referred to as Phoenix Recreation.
Article 2 – Mission Statement
The purpose of Phoenix Recreation is to develop and coordinate recreation programs and events that reflect the interests of the community and enhance the quality of life for all Headingley residents.
Article 3 – Goals
- To facilitate and provide support to the development of recreational activities suited to the needs of the community.
- To cooperate with other organizations, both within and outside the R.M. of Headingley, that concerns themselves with recreational affairs.
- To plan for the continued operation of Phoenix Recreation and its programs through the recruitment and training of volunteers.
- To be accountable for the effective and efficient use of resources.
Article 4 – Membership
- Any person who lives within the boundaries of the Rural Municipality of Headingley, regardless of age, is a member.
- Persons who reside outside the boundary are welcome to participate in Phoenix Recreation’s programs and events, subject to the discretion of the Board of Directors.
Article 5 – Governance
- The business and affairs of Phoenix Recreation shall be managed by the
Board of Directors.
- The Board of Directors of Phoenix Recreation shall consist of 12 members
- Vice President
- Hockey Director (Amended 2008)
- Softball Convener
- Baseball Convener (Amended 2010)
- Nursery School Representatives (2)
- Youth Convener
- Special Events/Program Convener
- Communications Convener
- R.M. of Headingley Council Representative (appointed by Council)
- The Executive Committee shall consist of:
- Vice President
- Any person is eligible to serve on the Board of Directors who; meets the membership requirements, is 18 years of age or older (with the exception of the Youth Convener), is not an employee of Phoenix Recreation and has been elected by the membership at the Annual General Meeting.
- The R.M of Headingley Council Representative shall be appointed through municipal council on an annual basis.
- Responsibilities of Board Members are outlined in By Law 2.
Article 6 – Terms of Office
All elected officers shall hold office from the date of their election for the specified term.
Article 7 – Quorum
- Quorum for a Board Meeting shall be a minimum of 50 % of the Board of Directors, including a minimum of one (1) member of the Executive Committee. Vacant Board positions shall not be considered when establishing quorum.
- Quorum at an Annual General Meeting or a Special Meeting shall be a
minimum of ten (10) voting members. (Amended 2010)
Article 8 – Meetings
Annual General Meeting
- The Annual General Meeting is to be held within two months of the end of the fiscal year. (March 31)
- Notice of the Annual General Meeting will be given not less than twenty-one (21) days in local publications and/or flyers and posters.
- An Annual General Meeting will not be held unless all Board of Directors have been notified.
- A Special Meeting of the membership may be held at the request of the President or his/her delegate or upon written request of ten (10) voting members.
- Notice of the Special Meeting shall be posted seven (7) days prior to the meeting. The notice shall include the time, place and reason for the meeting.
- The Board of Directors shall meet a minimum of 6 times per year.
- Members and/or any non-members wishing to address the Board of Directors must seek approval from the President prior to the meeting.
- Attendance at Board Meetings is open to the membership.
- The Board of Directors at any time may establish ad hoc committees with such duties and powers it deems to be in the interest of Phoenix Recreation. Committees are expected to keep a record of activities and recommendations. The Committee Chair shall report to the Board of Directors at Board Meetings as requested.
- Committee meetings may be held as required and at the discretion of the Committee Chair.
Article 9 – Voting
- The voting body at the Annual Meeting/Special Meeting shall consist of all members, who are 18 years of age or older (with the exception of the Youth Convener), present at the meeting.
- Votes may not be given by proxy.
- All votes taken will be by a show of hands with the exception of the election of the Board of Directors which will be a secret ballot. A request may be made for votes to be by secret ballot for other matters.
- All votes will be decided by a simple majority with the exception of a vote taken on amendments to the Constitution which will be decided by a two thirds majority.
- The President shall not vote unless to break a tie.
Article 10 – Finances
- Any one of the President, Vice President, or Secretary along with the Treasurer shall act as the signing officers.
- The financial year shall be April 1 – March 31st.
- The projected annual budget for the ensuing session shall be reviewed at a Board Meeting prior to submission to the community members for approval at the Annual General Meeting.
- The financial records shall be reviewed each year. The reviewer(s) shall be appointed by the Board of Directors. A written statement by the reviewer shall include the findings of the review and be presented at the Annual General Meeting.
- The financial records of Phoenix Recreation shall be open to inspection by members upon request to the Board of Directors.
- The Board of Directors will be governed by the financial policies of Phoenix Recreation.
Article 11 – Nominations & Elections
- Elections will be held at the Annual General Meeting.
- Nominations may be made from the floor.
- The Board of Directors shall be elected by secret ballot with the candidate receiving the most votes elected. Where only one candidate has been nominated for a Board of Director’s position, the candidate shall be elected by acclamation.
- The Board of Directors shall be elected for a one year term.
- Any member of the Board of Directors with an expiring term, who desires
to continue in their position, shall run for re-election.
Article 12 – Vacancies
- In the event that a vacancy exists on the Board, the Board may appoint a person to fill the vacancy until the next Annual General Meeting at which time the members will fill the vacancy by election.
- In the event that the office of President becomes vacant, the Vice President shall become President until the next Annual General Meeting.
- A Board of Director’s position shall be considered vacant upon any one of the following events;
- Vacant by death.
- Resignation in writing to the Board of Directors.
- Two (2) unexcused absences at consecutive Board of Directors Meetings.
Article 13 – Amendments
By Law 1 (Constitution) may be amended or revised by a two-thirds (2/3) vote of majority by members in attendance at the Annual General Meeting or at a Special Meeting called for that purpose.
Article 14 – Dissolution
Members of Phoenix Recreation do not have and can not have any personal interest in the property of Phoenix Recreation. If Phoenix Recreation is dissolved or disbanded, any assets left after all liabilities have been satisfied must be turned over to the R.M. of Headingley.
Article 15 – Interpretation
The interpretation of the Executive Committee shall be final and conclusive in the
event of any dispute as to the meaning of any article.
Article 16 – Protection of Directors
No Board member, Director or Officer of Phoenix Recreation shall be liable for
the acts, neglects or default of any other Board member, Director or Officer or
employee for any loss, damage or expense happening to Phoenix Recreation
except by or through their own willful act of default.
Statement of Approval
This By Law One – Constitution, was approved at the Annual Meeting held May 7th 2007, and super cedes all previous Constitutions.